Sunday, December 14, 2008

ALEKS online math course




I was very excited to be able to review ALEKS http://www.aleks.com/ . I have heard wonderful things about their program.
What is ALEKS? Well, I’ll paste how they define their program: “ALEKS is a web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn't know in a course. ALEKS then instructs the student on the topics she is most ready to learn. As a student works through a course, ALEKS periodically reassesses the student to ensure that topics learned are also retained. ALEKS courses are very complete in their topic coverage and ALEKS avoids multiple choice questions. A student who shows a high level of mastery of an ALEKS course will be successful in the actual course she is taking. ALEKS also provides the advantages of one-on-one instruction, 24/7, from virtually any web-based computer for a fraction of the cost of a human tutor.”

Before I signed up to be on the TOS review crew I was in the midst of finding another math course for my daughter…the one we were using just wasn’t working (and I couldn’t figure it out myself to help her with it). So when I heard that we were to review ALEKS I was excited to use it. I signed my 10th grader up for geometry with ALEKS. And I have to tell you, it was such a relief to hear that my daughter was enjoying her math course.

ALEKS assesses the student, and then sets up a pie chart showing what the student needs to complete. The student works through a pie wedge until it is completed, then they are assessed again to check their progress. The parents are given a separate account to access what their child is doing, and will also send out automated reports to the parent. Some other features: no textbooks, everything is online; is accessible from virtually any computer with internet access; one subscription gives you access to all courses; allows self-paced, individualized instruction; and assesses and instructs with standards-based content.

Another great feature is the price: $19.95/child per month; $99.95/child for six months; $179.95/child for 12 months; they also offer a family discount. If you still aren’t sure this is the program for your family you can try it out for a month for free: http://www.aleks.com/free_trial

No comments: