Saturday, December 13, 2008

Time 4 Learning




Time 4 learning http://www.time4learning.com/ is an online instruction in reading, language arts, and math with enrichment courses in science and social studies (for grades 1st through 7th). It offers the core subjects in pre-school through 8th grades. This program can be customized by the parent to fit the child's needs. The parent can also log in to view what the child has accomplished, as well as see a list of the lesson plans and accompanying activities. T4L also has a a forum for parents to ask for help or just to discuss the program with others who also use T4L. The cost is $19.95 per month for the first child, and add a second child for $14.95. They also offer a 2 week money back guarantee.
You can see their lesson demo here: http://www.time4learning.com/demos.htm

Now, on to what we thought of the program (the Pros)....I really like it. I probably wouldn't use it as a stand alone curriculum for the core subjects, but you could very well use it that way. I personally don't like to have my kids on the computer for most of their day. I like to have them holding real books or doing hands-on activities the majority of the time. I used T4L as a supplement in addition to our regular curriculum. I had them do online work for 45 mins, while I worked with my younger kids. It was a life saver. See, I have six kids and to be able to have my older kids use an online course while I can focus on my younger kids (one of which has special needs) was a huge help. And the cost is pretty good if you compare it to other home school computer based programs. The biggest factor is that my kids love it. I don't have to beg them to do their work, they can't wait to do T4L. The characters are funny and they really hold my kids' attentions. And they are learning....it isn't just a silly comical show, they have really learned so much using T4L. We are already planning on continuing with T4L.
The cons: 1) if you are looking for a religious curriculum, this isn't it...this is a secular program so there is silly bathroom humor and in the science section they teach evolution (this program is used in many public schools so it is secular in it's content). 2) A child can jump around to different lessons, skipping over some areas....after you realize this you can make sure to guide your student so that they follow the lessons appropriately.
Time 4 learning really is a great program...it works for kids of all learning styles. Check out their website and see for yourself. http://www.time4learning.com/


No comments: