Sunday, December 21, 2008

Peterson Directed Handwriting


Peterson directed Handwriting.
Peterson Directed Handwriting is a movement based method for teaching handwriting. It teaches the child to first trace with their fingers or 'air write' the letters. They strongly suggest that you not let the child trace with a pencil. They believe that tracing with the fingers rather than the pencil helps the student to learn the proper movement for learning to write.
The website contains many articles explaining the research behind their method. They also offer webmeetings each week for you to ask questions about their product. They will also help you to chose which level would be best for your child. I would higly recommend that you thoroughly look over the website as they offer a plethora of information on teaching and using their curriculum.
When I heard we were to receive a handwriting curriculum I was thrilled. Handwriting is not something we focus too much on....and unfortunately it shows in some of my children's handwriting.
I received the grade 3 kit, which contains: student book, teacher manual, cd of songs, cd of animated letter cards, 2 pencils, position guide and desk strips. At first glance I could tell that this is written for classroom use (one giveaway was that the position guide is adhesive and is to put onto the desk....most homeschoolers I know don't have desks and use their kitchen table).
As I started reading how to start I was a little confused. The teacher's lessons were written out but a little hard to understand and follow. Much of what is written is towards a classroom teacher, not a homeschooler. In the student book however, the way they explain the mechanics of how to do the exercise are written out well and easy to follow, but it needs more exercises for the student to do. Because of this the lessons are short, almost too short. My son did a lesson in almost 5 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for short lessons, but these were a little too short. I also have to note that we skipped over using the cd of animated letter cards and the cd of songs, those were a little juvenile even for a 3rd grade student (my kids using this program are a little older than a 3rd grader). And the song cd is cute, but it really needs music to hold a child's attention.
I did try the lessons on my other poor handwriter and she just did not care for it at all. So I just had my son use this curriculum. Although I don't care for the curriculum, my son does like it. I also think that I will try it with my special needs son, as this curriculum uses rhythm techniques to learn the writing movements...and my special needs son thrives on movement based teaching programs.
Anyhow, I do get what they are teaching and think it is a good method....I just think they need to do more research on how to gear it towards a homeschooling family.

No comments: